Your passport cannot expire within 6 months of your travel date!
This is all information from the U.S. Passports and International Travel Agency and is subject to change. This is informational and may not be accurate at the time you read it. Always refer back to the agency page.
What travel requires a passport?
- Leaving the country by plane or car.
Closed loop cruises that begin and end in a U.S. port do not require a passport but there are great reasons to get one.
- Whenever you leave and return on a ship from the United States you are not required to have a passport (as of today December 30, 2014 but check with http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english.html for up to date requirements.)
- If you go on an excursion and do not return to the port in time for departure the ship can leave you. Thus you would have to re-enter the United States by plane which requires a passport. This is also why it is advisable to spend the extra money to use the cruiselines approved excursions.
- If a family member gets sick while onboard they may be taken on land to a hospital. The ship cannot wait on your family member to get well and you will need a passport to return by plane.
How do you get a passport?
- U.S. Passports and International Travel
- Step One: APPLICATION: click link above and print and fill out the passport application
- Step Two: PHOTO: get passport photos taken at a variety of places including Walmart, Walgreens or CVS (Currently $7-12)
- Step Three: CITIZENSHIP: Proof of Citizenship: original raised seal birth certificate (you can get these from Certified Birth Certificates)
- Step Four: IDENTITY: Driver's License, Certificate of naturalization, governement photo ID. For children BOTH parents must appear with photo ID when turning in the documents.
- Step Five: Submit to acceptance location with payment: Application Acceptance Facility
Cost (These costs are NOT refundable)
- Adults (16 and older): $110 + a $25 fee at location that takees your application (Post office)
- Minors: $80 + $25 fee
How long does my passport last?
- Adult passports are good for 10 years
- Minor passports are good for 5 years
How long will it take to get it?
- 4-5 weeks for regular processing.