Magic Kingdom is what we think of when we think of Walt Disney World.
This the largest of the four parks in Disney World and has a huge variety of activities, shows and rides as well as the giant CASTLE. So, here’s my main points of advice!
- If possible, get there at park opening. This is when you will get on rides the quickest and they open the park with fanfare to get you excited about the day that lies ahead.
- When entering the park it is easy to just stand in awe of Main Street USA. It is truly magnificent and photo opportunities abound. I beg of you do not stand and allow thousands of people to pass you. All of these photo spots will still exist later. MOVE!
- As you enter the park everyone will bottleneck onto Main Street and traffic will slow to a crawl. Those people I mentioned above that are standing in awe, are now causing everyone behind them to stand still!
- Go directly into the first gift shop on the left past the flagpole and fire station, it will be empty. Move through the gift shops that are all connecting down Main Street!
Go to the store just behind the clock on the left in this picture!
- There will be an occasional spot where you have to exit into the throng of chaos then duck back into the next store weave through them and come out facing the castle beside restaurants.
- The herd of hypnotic people will move forward or to the right. YOU will move to the left.
- Now, you have an option, speed through the empty Adventureland, Frontierland and Liberty Square to get to Fantasyland OR ride all the rides in Adventureland, Frontierland and Liberty Square while there are little to no waits. This is the Dillon plan- we always ride Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain railroad and Haunted Mansion first thing upon entry!
- You have your table services booked. Now, you need to figure out your quick service meal of the day. Here’s my favorites:
o Casey Corner on Main Street has some excellent corn dogs and yummy corn dog nuggets. The corn dog nuggets are a great option for a quick on the go sharing item. This might tide you over if you are starving and your table service is still a little time away. Sadly, they no longer have liquid cheese which is just more depressing than I care to discuss.
o Pecos Bill’s Tall Tale Inn located in Frontierland has inside, air conditioned dining which might put you to sleep but also hosts an excellent hot ‘toppings bar’. This allows you to make your plain burger a lot more appetizing.
o Pinnochio Village Haus in Fantasyland offers seating that overlooks the “It’s a Small World” ride, young kids will be distracted and you will have time to eat your food before it’s cold!
o Cosmic Rays in Tomorrowland across from the Speedway has different ordering ‘bays’. Be careful, walk through and read all the menus before. You can order different things at different counters. This offers an excellent option if you’re tired of burgers. This is the favorite meal of my tween and teen, they choose to eat here more than once during each visit and they are both picky/plain eaters.
o Be Our Guest is the newest Quick Service location. It is excellent and is a great way to see the castle if you weren't able to get one of the very limited dining reservations for dinner. Many say the lunch food is better than dinner. We appreciated the serve yourself drink refills. Make sure and walk throughout the castle while eating so you see the different decor in each room. This is the only Quick Service meal that can be reserved in advance. You can even order your food in advance to avoid a wait upon entry.
o I could snack all day and never stop for a real meal. There are snacks you cannot get anywhere else so enjoy
o Aloha Isle in Adventureland has my favorite snack in all the world: The pineapple Dole Whip float…YUM. Be careful this is a new location behind the flying carpets.
o Funnel Cakes before you enter Adventureland on the right at the bottom of the hill by the castle. Nothing says healthy start to your day like a fried funnel cake covered in powder sugar! I'm pretty sure that is breakfast.
o Main Street Bakery now hosting Starbucks coffee is on Main Street and has lots of breakfast treats that are snacks individually or can be combined to be a quick service option. If you choose to use a Quick Service meal credit for breakfast I suggest asking the first cast member you encounter what your options are. I was shocked how much I could get with ONE Quick credit. A hot breakfast sandwich, pastry, coffee and juice.
o Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street offers hand dipped ice cream and sundaes covered as snacks on the dining plan.
- There are other dining and snack options, these are just a quick glance at the Dillon Family stops!
- Rides here really depend on your kids ages and attitudes toward rides. We have a burly rider that is the most timid of our crew that refuses to go upside down or down a steep drop. He is willing to do the following with a little taunting from his teens.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Haunted Mansion
- Pirates of the Caribbean all of these sound more daunting than they actually are! These are fun for the whole family!
- Peter Pan
- Seven Dwarf's Mine Train
- Winnie the Pooh
- NOT for the Faint at Heart (or the plus sized adults): Space Mountain. It is a fast, dark ride. Our kids have ridden it since they were about 5 but it could definitely scare some riders.
- History buffs (my husband and son) or tired kids (and me) can find a quick air conditioned nap at the Hall of Presidents on Liberty Square. Theoretically, you would watch this historic show but I can say I have NEVER made it through the entire show.
- Email me any additional questions or points you would like to see blogged! dillontravels @gmail.com